Flap Surgery is required for severe gum diseases (periodontitis) if it cannot be cured with antibiotics or root planing and scaling. A flap procedure cleans the roots of a tooth and repairs bone damage caused by gum diseases. A gum specialist or an oral surgeon often performs the procedure. A local anesthetic will be given to you to numb the area where the doctor will work on your gums.The doctor will pull a section of your gums to clean the roots of your teeth and repair damaged bones. The gum flap will be sewn back into place and covered with gauze to stop the bleeding.
The flap procedure is necessary when severe gum disease (periodontitis) has damaged the bones that support your teeth.
Effects Of The Surgery
The bones will be smoothened and reshaped so that plaque has fewer places to grow. The bones will be repaired (grafted) with bones from another part of the body or with man-made materials. The doctor may place a lining on the bone graft to help the bone grow back. The lining may need to be removed later.
It takes a few days only to recover from a flap surgery provided you follow the instructions given. Do not hesitate to call the dentist of the surgeon if you have questions. Following are suggestions to help speed recovery:
- Prescribed painkillers to be taken.
- To reduce swelling and relieve pain, you can rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water several times a day after 24 hours.
- Change gauze pads before they become soaked with blood.
- Strenuous physical activity may increase bleeding so relax for a while after the surgery.
- Eat soft foods such as gelatin, pudding, or light soup. Gradually add solid foods to your diet as the area heals.
- Prop up your head with pillows. Do not lie flat as this may prolong bleeding.
- Brush your teeth and tongue carefully.
- Apply an ice or cold pack to the outside of your mouth to help relieve pain and swelling.
A few days after the procedure, your dentist will remove the stitches.
Dentique Dental Clinic in Kozhikode offers Best treatment for Dental and Oral problems with the help of the expert team of doctors and other staffs.
Visit us: www.dentique.in
Mail us: email@example.com